Last Updated: December 31, 2017
I. WEBSITE PRIVACY
What Information We Collect About You and How We Use It
Information You Provide to Us
URLs and IP Addresses
We do not use technology that recognizes a “do-not-track” signal from your web browser.
The cookies we use on our Website include:
Session cookies: These temporary cookies expire and are automatically erased whenever you close your browser window. We use session cookies to grant you access to content and to enable actions you must be logged in to do.
Persistent cookies: These usually have an expiration date in the distant future and remain in your browser until they expire or you manually delete them. We use persistent cookies to better understand you use patterns so we can improve the Website. For example, we may use a persistent cookie to associate you with your user account or to remember that your choices on the Website, but this only works when cookies on our site are enabled.
We may also permit third party service providers to place cookies through our Website, as indicated above, to perform analytic or marketing functions where you are notified of them and you have consented to the usage. We do not control the use of such third party cookies or the resulting information and we are not responsible for any actions or policies of such third parties.
Social Networking Activities
When you engage in any financial transaction through the Website, you will be asked to provide certain of your financial information, such as your debit card, credit card or PayPal account and billing address. We will only keep this information as long as necessary to complete the transaction or series of recurring transactions authorized by you.
How Personal Information May Be Used or Shared
We will not share, rent, sell or otherwise disclose any of the personally identifiable information that we collect about you through the Website, except in any of the following situations:
- We may use the information we collect from you to fulfill your requests, to manage the Website, to communicate with you about membership, registration, products, services, events and other opportunities related to yoga, to conduct research and analysis and to expand our services and outreach. We have instituted opt-out capabilities to ensure that you do not receive unwanted promotional email or mail from Yoga Alliance, as discussed below in the “Opting Out of Communications” section.
- We may disclose information that we collect about you to our third-party contractors and payment processors who perform services for us in connection with the Website, or to complete or confirm a transaction or series of transactions that you conduct with us. We may also disclose information to service providers or suppliers if the disclosure will enable that party to perform business, professional or technical support for us, including, for example, marketing partners, analytics services and research services. We may disclose information that we collect about you to verified Yoga Alliance Continuing Education Providers or other verified members who provide continuing education in connection with their provision of courses offered to members that are recognized for Continuing Education credit by Yoga Alliance; these providers are permitted to use the information in order to provide the courses offered but are not permitted to use the information for their own unrelated purposes.
- As part of Yoga Alliance’s Affinity and Sponsorship Program, we may provide your information to our partners and sponsors, so as to provide access to benefits and communicate important information about them. We may also provide such information to other select third parties approved by Yoga Alliance as offering products or services relevant and useful to you. Yoga Alliance endeavors to pre-approve the content of any third party communications. If you do not want Yoga Alliance to share your information with any of its approved partners, sponsors, or other relevant third parties, please contact us at the email or phone number listed below under Contact, and state your request along with your first and last name, email and postal address and phone number. We will make every effort to process all such requests within 30 days.
- We may disclose information about you as part of a merger, acquisition or other sale or transfer of the assets or business of Yoga Alliance.
- We may be legally obligated to disclose information about you to the government or to third parties under certain circumstances, such as in connection with illegal activity on the Website, or to respond to a subpoena, court order or other legal process. We reserve the right to release information that we collect to law enforcement or other government officials, as we, in our sole and absolute discretion, deem necessary or appropriate.
- We may share aggregated or anonymous information that cannot identify you with third parties. For example, we may disclose the number of visitors to the Website or the number of people who have downloaded a particular document.
Publicly Displayed Information
Yoga Alliance is an online directory (the “Registry”) accessible to the public at www.yogaalliance.org. If you are a Member, the Registry allows interested parties – including potential clients and employers – to find you. However, you choose how much or how little information you want displayed, as described below.
Registered Yoga Teachers
Yoga Alliance collects personal information about Registered Yoga Teachers (“RYT”) during and after the registration process. An RYT controls whether they appear publicly in the Directory by managing the online profile in their personal account. For directions about how to manage online accounts, view our website, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registered Yoga Schools
Yoga Alliance collects personal information about Registered Yoga Schools (“RYS”) and their trainees during the registration process and after. Some of that information is automatically included in the online Registry for an RYS, specifically: name of school and school locations, city, state and zip code of school locations, designation, school teachers, and types of yoga. An RYS may post additional information on their public profile by making selections in online account settings.
Yoga Alliance Continuing Education Providers
Opting Out of Communications
If you no longer want to receive promotional emails from Yoga Alliance on a going-forward basis, you may opt out of receiving emails by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of those email you receive or, if you have an online account, you may log in to your account and make changes to your communication preferences. If you are having difficulty unsubscribing using the above methods, please contact us directly at the email or phone number listed below under Contact.
Please allow ample time for us to process your request. However, please note that even if you opt out from receiving promotional emails, we will continue to send you service-related communications and may need to keep information we have collected about you for record-keeping, research and other purposes.
To help protect the privacy of data you transmit through the Website, where personally identifiable information is requested, we use technology designed to encrypt the information that you input before it is sent to us. In addition, we take steps to protect the user data we collect against unauthorized access. However, you should keep in mind that the Website is run on software, hardware and networks, any component of which may, from time to time, require maintenance or experience problems or breaches of security beyond our control.
Links to Other Websites
This Website is not intended for children under the age of 13. If you are under 13 years of age, please do not use or access this Website at any time or in any manner. By using this Website, you affirm that you are over the age of 13. Yoga Alliance does not seek through this Website to gather personal information from or about persons under the age of 13.
Your California Privacy Rights
Under California law, a California resident with whom we have an established relationship has the right to request certain information with respect to the types of personal information we have shared with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, and the identities of those third parties, within the immediately preceding calendar year, subject to certain exceptions. All requests for such information must be in writing and sent to us at the mailing address set forth below.
Access from Outside North America
If you access the Website from outside of North America, information that we collect about you will be transferred to servers inside North America and maintained indefinitely, which may involve the transfer of information out of countries located in the European Economic Area. By allowing us to collect information about you, you consent to such transfer and processing of your data.
II. OTHER PRIVACY
You may provide personal information to us other than on or through the Website. Aside from through the Website, other ways we collect personal information include via email, telephone, facsimile, postal mail, or in person. If we use any information on or through the Website that we collected other than on or through the Website, the Website Privacy terms, above, will apply in their entirety to the use of such information. If personal information you have provided is not used on or through the Website, then the only sections of the Website Privacy terms above that will apply to the use of such information are: “How Personal Information May Be Used or Shared,” “Governing Law,” and “Contact.”